Healthy choices will be woven into the fabric and culture of our county.
Empowering the people of Montgomery County to seek their highest health potential by promoting healthy choices through education in nutrition, physical activity, and health literacy.
A Little About Us
The Healthy Living Alliance (HLA) was formed in 2011 by the Montgomery County United Way in an effort to address high obesity rates within the county. The 2011 Montgomery County Community Health Assessment compiled by the Texas Health Institute reported 70% of adults within Montgomery County to be obese or overweight. The number of adults reported as overweight or obese within income populations of $25,000 a year or less was 84%.
The mission of HLA is to empower the people of Montgomery County to seek their highest health potential by promoting healthy choices through education in nutrition, physical activity, and health literacy. HLA is working on 6 strategy areas to accomplish this mission.
• Focus on the schools as the heart of health
• Integrate physical activity into all aspects of community life.
• Make healthy food and beverages available everywhere.
• Activate health care providers to increase health literacy.
• Activate employers to support workplace wellness.
• Promote the means by which everyone can lead a healthier life.
Our Goal is to increase the number of residents in Montgomery County living at a healthy weight by 10% by 2020.